Christopher J. Esbrook
Chris is a litigator who has won cases for his clients across industries and in venues throughout the country. He has deep experience in complex commercial litigation, mass tort, toxic tort, class action, environmental litigation, insurance litigation, disputes arising out of corporate transactions, and business law.
He has served as trial counsel for clients in high-stakes, high-pressure litigation. He also has a track record of success in transnational litigation, serving as trial counsel in international arbitrations as well as in foreign civil courtrooms. In addition, he counsels clients on the application of unclaimed property law to business operations and represents clients in unclaimed property audits.
Chris is one of the country’s leading settlement negotiators having negotiated hundreds of high-profile settlements, including the Deepwater Horizon Economic and Property Damage Class Action Settlement as well as hundreds of individual civil settlements.
Before founding Esbrook Law LLC, Chris spent fifteen years as a litigation partner at Kirkland & Ellis LLP. Chris founded Esbrook Law LLC to provide elite litigation services to clients for value-based fee structures.
- Deepwater Horizon Settlement: Negotiated the BP Deepwater Horizon Economic and Property Damage Settlement−one of the most complex settlements in history.
- In re: Energy Future Holdings, et al: Represented former officers and directors of EFH in its Chapter 11 cases in the U. S. Bankruptcy Court of the District of Delaware. EFH is the largest provider of electricity in Texas and its Chapter 11 case is the largest operating Chapter 11 case ever filed in Delaware and the seventh largest Chapter 11 case filed in history.
- Boeing v. Energia, et al.: Won $500+ million judgment from joint venture partners controlled by the Russian and Ukrainian governments. (The Boeing Co. v. KB Yuzhnoye, et. al., Case No. CV 13-0030, Dkt. 750 (C.D. Cal. Sept. 28, 2015). Conducted two-week arbitration in Stockholm, Sweden on similar issues.
- BP v. Cashman, et al.: Lead trial counsel for BP in breach of contract action against former vender. Achieved multi-million dollar settlement for BP.
- Northrop Grumman v. Aon Risk Services: Counsel for Aon in suit related to insurance coverage for losses arising out of hurricane Katrina.
- Confidential CERCLA Matter: Lead counsel for publicly traded company in environmental litigation with governmental and private parties.
- Razvitie v. Boeing, et al.: Won full defense verdict in trial for Boeing in Moscow, Russia where shareholders of former joint venture partner sought to invalidate a key contract containing reimbursement provisions in Boeing’s favor. Defeated the related appeal.
- Wisner, et al., v. BP: Lead counsel for BP where plaintiffs alleged $1+ billion damages arising out of damage to their coastal property form Deepwater Horizon spill response operations.
- Dinan v. Frontenac: Won summary judgment for Frontenac where broker claimed a multi-million dollar finder’s fee related to the purchase of a portfolio company. (Dinan and Co., LLC v. Frontenac Co. LLC, No. CV-08-147-PHX-JAT, 2009 WL 414034 (D. Ariz. Feb. 19, 2009)
- Channel Medical Partners v. Cylex: Achieved favorable settlement for Channel Medical Partners, successfully gaining control of Board of Directors.
- Packgen v. BP: Won summary judgment for BP where manufacturer alleged $20 million in damages related to agreement to order manufacturer’s product. (Packgen v. BP, 957 F. Supp.2d 58 (D. Me. 2013); affm’d Packgen v. BP Exploration, Inc., 754 F.3d 61 (1st Cir. 2014))
- Frontenac−Confidential Unclaimed Property Matter: Successfully defended Frontenac and negotiated the release of millions of dollars from escrow to private equity company after a dispute with a buyer regarding potential escheatment liability of the portfolio company.
- MTBE Groundwater Litigation (MDL2179): Defended BP in multi-district litigation arising out of alleged contamination to drinking water from the gasoline additive Methyl Tertiary Butyl Ether.
- BP America v. Chustz: Won summary judgment on preemption grounds defeating attempts by Louisiana Department of Natural Resources to compel BP to undertake operations to retrieve anchors in the seafloor. BP America Inc., v. Chustz, et al. 33 F. Supp.3d 676 (M.D. LA. 2014)
- BP v. OCS: Lead counsel for BP in a contractual indemnity action against a vendor. Achieved multi-million dollar settlement.
- Deepwater Horizon Personal Injury and Indemnification: Successfully negotiated settlement of multiple claims for personal injury by persons on board the Deepwater Horizon, and litigated related indemnity issues.
- Specchio v. BP, et al.: Lead trial counsel for BP in Mobile, AL regarding claims for diminution in property value related to leak from underground fuel pipe.
- Confidential Cancer Cluster Litigation: Represented chemical manufacturer in injury suits arising out cancer cluster allegedly arising out of exposure to chemicals.
- Confidential Unclaimed Property Advice: Advised company regarding treatment of accounts payable tied to business operations.